Sunday, April 25, 2010

Gaziano & Girling Narvell

These suede monk straps are my first shoes by Gaziano & Girling.  G&G is a relatively new English shoe-making company.  Co-headed by Tony Gaziano, who previous worked for the venerable Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, is a company that is known for making quality English shoes with a touch of modernity and Italian flair.  Some of Gaziano's lasts show his experience at Edward Green, as they are reminiscent of EG's 888 last. 

I particularly love G&G's interpretation of the 888 last, as they have made it sharper looking with a more chiseled toe-box.  Further enhancing the design of G&G shoes is their aggressive beveled waist treatment.  If you look at the picture of the sole of the shoe where the foot arch is, you'll notice it juts out slightly.  This signature waist beveling adds to the overall sharpness of the shoe.  Therefore when I saw that Ralph Lauren was offering these beautiful G&G shoes in the TG73 last, I couldn't help but purchase them.  However, I did have some initial hesitation as I wasn't sure what these brown suede monks would go with, neither was I confident of G&G's quality. 

After several wearings, I am happy to report that the shoes have held up well, and as apparent from the pictures, the suede is still looking relatively new.  I will say my Edward Green's hold their shape better than these G&G's.  But I am happy with these shoes and I hope G&G continues to make beautiful shoes in the traditional English way.

No comments:

Post a Comment