Sunday, April 18, 2010

Crockett & Jones Lowndes


A shoe's shape is one of the first few things that one notices immediately about any shoe. Although there is no such thing as an ideal shoe shape, I believe flattering shoes should generally follow the form of a healthy foot. This means a foot that is neither too wide nor too narrow, one that has a healthy arch, and one in which the heel size is proportional to the rest of the foot. Few of us are lucky enough to have ideally shaped feet, therefore, it's important that high quality footwear be able to mask a foot's shortcomings. For example, if a foot is too wide, an ideal shoe should be able to make it look narrower; if a foot has a collapsed arch, a shoe should be able to hide that arch, if a foot looks too long, the shoe should make it appear shorter, etc.

At the moment, I am particularly fond of shoes that are relatively elongated around the vamp with a semi-chiseled toe area. The Crockett & Jones Lowndes is a good example of said shoe shape. When I put them on, they make my feet look both long and sleek. The relatively sharp edges also accentuate the natural shape of my feet.

While shape is Crockett & Jones' forte, quality of construction and leather are in my opinion, somewhat lacking compared with other high-end English/European makers. After each wearing, the shoes lose some of their natural shape and contour so that there is a slight curvature towards the front of the shoe. The leather also wrinkles relatively easily and does not hold a luster as well as other high end shoes.

However, I only say this with the acknowledgment that I have what some would say extremely high standards for shoes, therefore most people would probably not notice the subtle flaws I described above.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Crockett & Jones Lowndes if not simply for their shape. I am sure these will bring me many pleasureful years of wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment